September 24, 2013
Gloom Balloon’s debut single She Was The One That Got Away (7″/DL) is coming out on October 22nd! This track’s combination of saxes, flutes, horns, and a classic hip-hop beat make it reminiscent of a modern day take on Van Morrison’s Astral Weeks. The single is backed with the track “Science of Love Minus Harry Harlow”, which has been kicking off Gloom Balloon’s sets recently and getting folks groovin’ like you wouldn’t believe.
Besides providing its own great musical experience, this single will also be paving the way for the band’s first LP You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Disaster/Fix The Sunshine Pts. 1-7 (An Ode to Bill Doss) (LP/CD/DL), available on December 5th. Check out the LP’s double album covers:
You will be able to pre-order both the 7″ and the LP as a bundle starting on Tuesday, October 1st at maximumamesrecords.com/shop. Pre-orders come with loads of great bonuses:
- An autographed copy of a page of the string arrangements for the song “Gloom Balloon” – signed by songwriter Patrick Tape Fleming, composer H.D. Harmsen, and co-producer Christopher Ford
- A personal Gloom Balloon painting by Patrick Tape Fleming
- Be entered to win a big Gloom Balloon painting and a test pressing of the record!
- Exclusive download of a cover of Leonard Cohen’s “One of Us Cannot Be Wrong”
- Exclusive download of the acoustic demos of Side A of the LP
- Some actual Gloom Balloons!
Check out this killer performance to get a taste of what’s to come:
We’ll leave you with a bonus: Christopher the Conquered (who is backing Fleming in Gloom Balloon) just dropped this new video, in which he sings an American folk song in a graveyard. Support Christopher by picking up a copy of The Fate of A Good Man right here. Peace.
September 11, 2013
August 28, 2013
Ok, so Maximum Ames Music Festival is nearly upon us (and uh, yeah, The Zombies are actually playing, see the video above), which means its time to get nuts. We’ve got loads of rad ways you can win free stuff, get deals, and more, so check out the full list below:
- Every purchase of a Maximum Ames Records album from our online store gets you entered into a drawing to win a free pass to MAMF ($100 value). Buy two records and double your chances! Or something like that. You have to pick up a record before September 12th to be considered for the drawing. Check out our full selection of beautiful Iowa music right here.
- Every purchase of a MAMF pass gets you:
- A free Maximum Ames record of your choice.
- Entered into an epic drawing to win a $500 Maximum Ames gift card. This can be used towards tickets to future Maximum Ames events (including the festival), Maximum Ames Records, or the Iowa Music Store. This drawing will only take place if we sell 100 or more All-Access Passes! So tell your friends to commit for a chance at MA Glory!
BUY YOUR ALL-ACCESS PASS RIGHT HERE. IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO. WHAT WOULD JESUS DO? HE’D BUY A PASS, FOR CHRIST’S SAKE.
Ok, next? the Wheelers are coming to a glorious hole in the wall near you! Our fellas in black (metaphorically speaking) have just announced a fall tour schedule which will find them wandering aimlessly around the Midwest and changing lives while they’re at it. Here are all the dates for the Tentacle Tour:
SEPTEMBER 27th – CZAR BAR – Kansas City, MO.
w/ FIDLAR + The Orwells.
SEPTEMBER 29th – MAXIMUM AMES FESTIVAL – Ames, IA.
w/ Mumford’s, Land of Blood and Sunshine, The Beat Strings + H.D. Harmsen.
OCTOBER 4th – VICARIOUS SESSION – Des Moines, IA.
OCTOBER 5th – OCTOPUS – Cedar Falls, IA.
OCTOBER 6th – WISCO – Madison, WI.
w/ Shallow Effect + Dharma Dogs.
OCTOBER 7th – QUARTERS – Milwaukee, WI.
w/ Static Eyes.
OCTOBER 8th – DAYTROTTER SESSION – Rock Island, IL.
OCTOBER 9th – TOWNSHIP – Chicago, IL.
w/ Paul Cary and The Small Scarys, Mawrcrest + 13 Monsters.
OCTOBER 10th – CBGB – St. Louis, MO.
w/ Burrowss + Boreal Hills.
OCTOBER 11th – REPLAY LOUNGE – Lawrence, KS.
w/ Psychic Heat + The Sluts.
Last? Christopher the Conquered did his thang in Colfax, Iowa with the Conquered Trio and some honorary members of the Black Gold Brass Band. Check out their cover of Ray Charles’ “Let the Good Times Roll”. It should make your soul jiggle ever so slightly.
Check out the full covers series here, then go find something better to do with your time, if you can.
Peace On Earth And Funky Tidings To All,