December 6, 2013
Today, The Milk Carton debuted Mumford’s first ever music video. The entire video for “Ten Pounds” was filmed during one day in Fairfield, Iowa with the shooting being split between The Beauty Shop and St. Mary’s Project.
The video is meant to reflect the way that people perform different versions of themselves when they are, or want to be, on camera. Longtime collaborator of Mumford’s and director of the video, Little Ruckus, conceived the video as a series of beautiful yet off-putting vignettes that would give a visual sense of the eeriness that lies below the surface of the song.
Mumford’s new record Immediate Family will be played in its entirety during their album release show in Ames on Sunday, December 8th. The show starts at 6:00p.m. at The Space For Ames. Holly & The Night Owls and Gloom Balloon will be joining Mumford’s for a night celebrating family, friends, and of course, music.
Happy holidays. Peace.
December 2, 2013
Tis the season for tunes. Whether you’re shopping for yourself or someone else, our holiday sale is the best way for you to save cash and get some extra perks. From now until December 18th you can get 15% off of everything on maximumamesrecords.com. In addition to the savings, all orders will receive a download code for a previously unreleased recording session from the Poison Control Center. Plus if you spend $30 or more, you’ll also receive a free t-shirt. All you have to do is use the discount code ”merrymaximas.”
In case you need some help figuring out what to get:
- Gloom Balloon’s debut album drops tomorrow! Josh Terzino from Musi-Defined.com called it, “One of the best records I’ve heard all year. [...] Albums like this don’t come around every day, and we need to cherish them when they do.”
- Mumford’s recently released Immediate Family and it too has been taking eardrums by storm. Cityview said, “Immediate Family is the most complete album the group has released and is easily the most well-rounded and theatrical the band has ever sounded.”
- H.D. Harmsen’s Papoose makes a great gift, The Lonelyhearts may just win your heart, and The Wheelers‘ self-titled LP is almost completely sold out, so now is the time to grab a copy.
LPs, CDs, posters, t-shirts – we have something for everyone! There is so much great Iowa art to share with loved ones . . . or keep to yourself.
Happy Holidays! Much love.
November 26, 2013
It’s happening! Release shows for both Mumford’s Immediate Family and Gloom Balloon’s You Make Me Feel Like A Natural Disaster/Fix the Sunshine Pts. 1-7 (An Ode to Bill Doss) have been announced! The deets:
- Saturday, November 30th: Gloom Balloon Album Release Show | Vaudeville Mews | 5:30PM | All Ages | w/ The Seed of Something + The Austin Brown Trio | Special deals on records w/ entry to show | RSVP on Facebook
- Saturday, November 30th: Gloom Balloon Album Release Show | Vaudeville Mews | 9:30PM | 21+ | w/ H.D. Harmsen + Dr. Dentist | Special deals on records w/ entry to show | RSVP on Facebook
- Sunday, December 8th: Mumford’s Album Release Show | The Space for Ames | 6:00PM | All Ages | w/ Holly Figueroa + Gloom Balloon | Special deals on records w/ entry to show | RSVP on Facebook
We’ll also be spinning both new records at both shows! So come get a listen to the live and recorded versions then head home with the goods! Can’t make it? Order Mumford’s record here and get Gloom Balloon’s here (still time for freebie downloads if you order before December 3rd!)
If you need a little more persuasion, we’ve got a few reviews of the new records from Gloom Balloon & Mumford’s, as well as some other fresh writing on our artists. Check it:
- “One of the best records I’ve heard all year. [...] Albums like this don’t come around every day, and we need to cherish them when they do.” – Josh Terzino, Music-Defined.com
- “With Immediate Family, Mumford’s explore the idea of family in all of its forms, and in doing so, they’ve created an unforgettable album that is sure to strike a chord in anyone that gives it a fair shake. It’s raw, it’s honest, it’s fantastic, and it’s easily one of my favorites of the year.” - Jeremy Hoffman, The Milk Carton
- “The show had the feeling of an intimate gospel experience that everyone in attendance was an important part of.” – Review of Gloom Balloon Live in Memphis, Rhodes Radio
- “They left me speechless
I felt like I was floating
That never happens” -Review of Gloom Balloon Live in St. Louis, HaikuLou
- “This dude touched my soul
Grabbed me immediately
Didn’t let me go” -Review of Christopher the Conquered Live in St. Louis, HaikuLou
Check out the newest cover from Christopher the Conquered above, featuring special guest and friend Fishboy. Also, do yourself a favor and watch the original music video to “It’s Raining Men” here, then catch up on Christopher’s covers series here.
Last bit of news for the day, we’ve got some various tidbits of cool things you should know about:
- Last year Patrick Tape Fleming (Gloom Balloon) produced a record in Des Moines featuring a number of musicians from Maximum Ames (H.D. Harmsen, Derek Lambert, Dylan Boyle, Christopher the Conquered), backing a dude named Dolfish. That record went on to get hot reviews from Paste and American Songwriter. Now Dolfish’s father has written a brilliant article about him for the New York Times. It’s a must read for any and all creative folk, which is all of you. Read it here.
- Gloom Balloon’s track “She Was the One That Got Away” (which debuted on Spin.com last month) is featured on the new app MultiTracks. The app allows you to remix the song, giving you control over 8 channels from the original recording! Pretty rad, read all the details here.
- Next Monday is “Cyber Monday”. We are going to have badass deals on everything in our Shop and the Iowa Music Store, plus all orders will get free stuff!! More to come on this very soon.